Amesbury, Massachusetts was first settled by Europeans in 1638 as a part of Salisbury. Amesbury split away from Salisbury in 1666 and was consequently incorporated as a town in 1668. Merrimac (then known as West Amesbury) split away from Amesbury in 1876. Amesbury was incorporated as a city in 1997.
For more information about Amesbury prior to 1668, see the Salisbury page.