There are few primary sources specific to Merrimac on the website at this time. For a wider context see Essex County and Beyond Essex County. Visit Heritage at Home for a list of online resources from each of the towns of Essex County, including Merrimac.
Merrimac, Massachusetts was first settled by Europeans in 1638 as a part of Salisbury. In 1666 Amesbury split from Salisbury and Merrimac consequently became known as West Amesbury. Merrimac became its own town in 1876 when it left the Town of Amesbury. Relevant documents for Merrimac prior to 1876 may be found on the pages for Salisbury and Amesbury.